Out on the pitch there is little to no shade from the sun’s rays.
Before the game – sunscreen, then shin guards
- Sunscreen must be applied 15 minutes before vigorous activity
- Don’t forget to re-apply at half time!
- The Canadian Dermatology Association keeps a list of approved sunscreen products.
- Hats, long sleeves and track pants protects the skin from the sun and keeps the body cool while on the bench.
- Players and coaches should stay hydrated on the field and on the bench.
- Put a shade tent over the bench area and/or have half-time and post-game talks in the shade.
- Cool down and cool off after the game.
These tips apply to the fans in the stands too!
Remember, cloud cover and wind can make the sun seem less harmful. Remember to check the UV index whenever you plan to be outside.